Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Election day MADNESS!

It's election day and everyone is jazzed and sporting "I Voted" stickers -- yeah, everyone except me because I voted by mail and received no sticker. It doesn't make a lot of sense to me to reward people who wait until the last minute, but that's just me. Next year, I'm going to lobby to have "I Voted" stickers included in every mail-in ballot envelope just to keep things fair.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to an Obama win tonight. I can't believe I'm saying that. Weeks ago I was trying to maintain some cautious cynicism for the race and American politics in general. "Have you ever lived in a red state?" I asked several San Francisco-ans who forget that people do vote Republican outside the city limits (and lots of them, too). I have lived in several, yes several, red states starting with Tennessee, that DID not go for its native son, Al Gore, in 2000. What a let down! Now I live in a coastal blue state and feel falsely secure in my ultra-liberal cacoon... actually, I don't feel that secure here among the ultra-liberals. I want more Starbucks in the Mission and a faster J-Church!

In other news, I'm about half-way through my penultimate semester of grad school. (You read right, I wrote "penultimate" nice, huh?). Things seem to go well until all of sudden I feel swamped and overwhelmed like when a college freshmen during finals and I ask myself, "Why again, did you think going to work and school full-time was a good idea?!!!" Everyone else thinks I'm crazy, maybe I should join that bandwagon or maybe crazy is just what I'm looking for...

No comments: