Monday, January 09, 2006

Hello '06!

My resolution for the year is to treat everyday like a job interview. That means I will try to:

  • Dress better than I have to.
  • Make insightful comments.
  • Ask intelligent questions.
  • Make other people feel important.
  • Talk about myself in a positive, yet humble manner.
  • Meet new people and remember their names.
  • Be assertive.
  • Wake up and show up earlier than necessary.
  • Prepare the night before.

In other news, my sister is moving back to Seattle! She will join my brother as a "partner" at Starbucks, where she will be a financial analyst for the international supply chain. My brother, by the way, is an equipment development engineer. Anyhow, what this means is more free Tazo tea and coffee for me and maybe a fancy travel mug if I'm lucky! So of course, the fam is now telling me, "you're next" and I'm like, "give me time, I'm tired of moving!"

I am in the process of applying to master's programs in creative writing. I don't want to mention where because I'm tired of questions like, "why are you applying to that no-name school?" The answer is I already have a degree from a prestigious school and I don't have to quit my job to complete the degree.

I just finished explaining the slang words "bling" and "grill" to my co-workers. I'm the resident young culture expert. Sigh.

No comments: