Monday, January 29, 2007

kick ass

I'm at work having a slow day. I could speed it up, but that would require effort. There are days, I must say, that I love the ups and downs of news gathering. My exciting news is that I am applying to gradschool and the more I revise my personal statement, the more I am convinced I will kick ass as a creative writing student. I'm applying to six schools, most of which I chose based on convenience factors such as not having to move or quit my job. Now I'm sort of thinking I should applied to full-time programs so I could really be serious about a master's in fine arts in creative writing. Oh, well, I think going back to school full time would bring my neurosis levels to an all-time high, so perhaps it's not the best way for me to go.

My weekend got off to a good start with a fun outing to SF to "club." That's right, club can also be used as a verb. I first learned that function back when I spent a summer in Detroit (the "D" for the cool people in the world). There was this song by some local hip hop group that a chorus that said "all we do is club it, let's go to the club." The singer was a male with a creepy voice. Anyhow, that song is now a classic even though I don't know who sings it or what it's called.

The rest of my weekend was filled with afternoon naps and staring at my computer screen while trying to revise my personal statement for the 20th time. Who knew convincing college officials to accept me would be so much work? Well, I am a hard sell. Just kidding. If I believed I was a hard sell, I wouldn't apply.

I also took some time on Sunday to watch "Babel." I'm still unsure how the titled is supposed to be pronounced: short or long A? No matter how I say it, someone corrects me– even the guy who sold me the movie ticket. Anyway, the movie's director, Alberto Gonzalez Inarritu, also created such masterpieces as Amores Perros and 21 Grams, both of which I loved. Babel was just as intricately crafted and inventive, but lacked emotion. I was definitely entertained, but not as moved as I expected to be.

No comments: