Wednesday, March 05, 2014

Ashes to ashes

Today is the kind of day when Catholics can be loud and proud rocking black smudges on our foreheads. Some people  give you the confused expressions, others smile and nod in recognition and others just stare. This year I feel like Lent snuck up on me, but I'm excited. Lent is my favorite liturgical season of the year. It's a time of reflection and spiritual growth. It's the only time of year I truly push myself to be disciplined whether it's food, prayer or dedication to new habits. So what will I strive this year: eating for health (no sweets or crap), praying the rosary once a week, midweek mass once a week and focusing more on God everyday. 
I was feeling stressed and overwhelmed today until I went to church to receive my ashes. I felt a sense of peace and relief. "Remember that you are dust, and to dust you shall return." It's so easy to become consumed by things of no consequence. In the end, it's just dust. What really matters is God.

No comments: