Tuesday, February 03, 2015

Answered prayers

Sometimes some big news lands in your lap and even if it's something you prayed for, it takes some time to let it all sink in. I realized lately that a few requests I made to God are now coming true. I prayed for months for a friend to overcome her anorexia, for another to find a new job after losing one and for my brother's wife to get pregnant. The first came to fruition in the last few months and today I learned that the third is happening. I'm still somewhat in disbelief. I'm thrilled. I'm shocked. But, I feel like this is something that I and the rest of the family have been hoping would happen. My mom finally gets to become a grandmother and I didn't have to be the one to produce a baby! Win-win.
The lack of grandkids in my family has been one of those missing pieces that pieces that perhaps we were all aware of, but would never discuss with each other or even say out loud. The lack of a next generation carried with it a veil of disappointment because it signaled a type of failure. My sister was married once, but divorced and didn't have kids. She hasn't had a serious relationship since. My brother got married, but my mom has never warmed up to his wife. I finally got married, but am living apart from my husband until he land a new job in Seattle. All these circumstances seem to have gotten in the way of finally having a Baby Torres in the family. But alas, the streak has ended!
It's exciting and anxiety-inducing at the same time. Now I'm praying that the pregnancy goes well and one day soon I'll be the doting aunt I've wanted to be for some time.  Even when God answers prayers, I'm reminded that the praying and gratitude should never cease. Thank you, God.

No comments: